Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Infamous Gut Feeling

Of course, I can't speak for everyone when it comes to listening to their gut feeling but when you have a track record of having your gut right too many times, never ignore that calling. On the other hand, if your gut feeling calls you to abduct people and disect them, I say bury that gut and call for some professional mental help.

Back in my high school sophomore year, I was part of the Computer Club. Aside from normal nerdy computer thingamajigs, the club was also given the responsibility to receive and host photography-related activities for the school, should any arise. There was no photography club back then and it was certainly not a time when every other person had a DLSR slung over their neck as the Gen Y code for bling bling the same way a gangster wear thick gold chains. One time, our advisor told us there was a national photo essay competition and "feel free to participate". I have known essay competitions but have not heard of the term "Photo Essay". This was a time when if you want to research something, the word Google does not come to mind. Research meant hours of reading in the library, more hours searching the Dewey Decimal System and asking reliable resources. After getting a clearer understanding of "Photo Essay", I spent rolls and rolls of negatives, (I used a point and shoot camera, of course. No parent in their right mind during that era would spend thousands of dollars for their kid's camera.) and brought my goods to the next club meeting.

It was not a happy meeting. Everyone brought their essays. Pages and pages of hard hours slaved on writing. Needless to say, I was the only one without a written essay and I did not bother showing what I have done(as I only had photos, no written essay), embarrassed to show stupid Lizette who made a boo-boo.

I went home wondering to myself where I went wrong and partially cried for the money spent on film - weeks and weeks of my allowance. I could not be bothered nor did I have the heart to write a whole essay anymore and right then and there, I did not care. I thought I did everything right, I researched my material, worked hard on it and there was no way in the world was I going to allow that to go to waste. I mailed my photos out of impulse.

Weeks later I received third place in a national competition along with a 50,000Php(roughly a little over $1000) scholarship in a computer media school. I did it right. (More than just right, I did it awesomely right!)

That was ages ago. Let's come back to present day Sydney. I have been job hunting for some time already, and when a dear friend heard about this, he told me to apply where he was working. It was casual hospitality work and I was happy to start having cash inflow again. I was told to go to their office, let them know I was his friend and drop off my resume. My gut feeling told me that in a big staffing agency, my resume would get lost and I would be forgotten. But this was his instruction, he was the one working there and who was I to contest that? So this I did(minus telling them I was his friend...I am never one to use the I-know-somebody-so-gimme-some-love system. Let the CV speak for itself! Hail! Hail!). I never heard from them again.

About 2 months later, I bumped into the company's website once again and decided to email them my resume. I got a callback in less than a week.

I would say that when our gut feeling tells us something, it is mostly recalling what you have learned from previous experiences in life. It is not a supernatural nor superstitious being that one should ignore, believing it is just reckless impulsiveness. But like I said, I cannot speak for everybody so I'm curious, what do other people's gut feelings tell them?

No comments:

Post a Comment