Friday, September 7, 2012

Shooting for the moon, fake Scotch and Aerosmith tickets


I was doing some Facebook browsing the other day and bumped into someone's Favorite Quote saying:

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land at the stars."





Suddenly, there were flags popping up in my brain  saying "Uhm, NOT!" "FAIL!" "No factoring way!" The moon's like, what, almost half a million kilometers away?  While the nearest stars are lightyears away! If you miss the moon, the stars will still be forever away.

Upon Google search, it appears to be a famous life saying. That made me sad and also want to hunt down and punch whoever-made-this-up's face.


Am I over-reacting? I personally am a Science enthusiast so it could be making me a bit more sensitive. But if they put it the other way around (Reach for the stars, even if you miss you'll land at the moon), I wouldn't have minded with what all the improbabilities are (Like, you won't land at the moon, you'll just be floating around!) as it is obviously just a metaphor and not for nitpicking geeky details. However, this existing metaphor is definitely nothing to live by! It's basically a metaphor to situations like "I bought a ticket to an Aerosmith concert and it turned out to be a Miley Cyrus one." or "I knew I have an exam for the next day so I studied my biology and found out in class it was a geometry test."

While I was doing whiskey tasting in the airport, it happened too often that I offered help to an aged man who would grumpily answer "I'm fine! I know my Scotch!" It is a given that some people would assume that I, being a 20-something blonde girl, know nothing about whiskey.  I 've accepted this long ago but the sad part is when the gentleman picks up something like Jameson. (Jameson is an Irish whiskey which is not, obviously, Scotch. Scotch has to come from Scotland.)  

This is sad because this man has spent years of his life drinking his "Scotch" which is not Scotch. 
He would be the behind-the-back laughing stock of drinking sessions. 
He did not accept help because he assumed he already knows his stuff. 
He did not open his mind to possibilities. 

I don't want to grow up like this. 
I don't want to charge into battle without the right information at hand. 
If I don't die during the battle, the king would probably have me decapitated for losing it for him. 
Or captured as a slave by the enemies. 

I am always one for impulsive choices, but my point is we have to know the facts as well. 
For example:
I impulsively bought an Aerosmith concert ticket. 
I knew, while ordering it, it was the right ticket for the right venue and date.
I double-checked what was written on my ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment