Monday, September 3, 2012

Why You Should Never Work for Free

Make-up artists(MUAs), photographers, writers, stylists and so on and so forth are always asking the question "Should I work for free?" My answer? Never.


I, myself, have gone through plenty of  TFP(trade for pictures) and apprenticeships when starting out as a MUA and still did when the shoot had a too-awesome concept or when it was for a publication.  But truth of the matter is, I never did any of this for free. Sure, I didn't get paid. And when I was given product vouchers / certificates(Magazines love to do these! Yay, free stuff!) or food / transportation allowance, I consider these gifts, not payment. 

Rewind back to the beginning. Why did I want to do TFP and apprenticeships to begin with? 

To learn. 
To widen my portfolio. 
To get publicised. 

Sounds pretty much self-benefiting to me! Plenty of people think success in the industry strongly relies on having strong connections to begin with. I never knew anyone from the industry but by working as an apprentice, I was shoulder-to-shoulder with people I needed to know and would never had any working relation with in any other circumstances. So you don't have current connections? Then make connections. Prove yourself. TFP and apprenticeship is the perfect way to do this! Getting publicised is an awesome deal. Ever since my name started to get printed on magazines, I've received streams of bookings, compliments and word-of-mouth with the sorts of "I know this MUA who was does work for ***** magazine! Let me hook you up." That, my dear, is priceless PR. 

You can decide to stop doing TFP if the work is redundant to you. But whenever you find yourself asking should you accept another TFP, ask yourself if the project will benefit you in any way. 

Is the concept something you really want to do? 
Will it be in a different publication where you can tap into a different market? 
Will I be working with someone who's got great techniques for me to pick-up?
or even as basic as: Will I have fun?

My only exception where I could say that I really will work for free is when it's for a good cause I believe in. For example, me and some colleagues did a confidence-boosting seminar for young rape victims. The photos isn't any unique addition to my portfolio nor did I learn any new trade techniques. However, I did go home with a warm fuzzy feeling which is pretty priceless! 

As Avenue Q goes "When you help someone, you can't help helping yourself"All of the circumstances of which I've worked as an apprentice or for TFP was beneficial to me(Hail to evolution's mutualism!). Kick out the "I'm getting ripped off" mentality. This mentality is the poison of your work. I've seen this happen to many times. 

Artist thinks it's work for free.
Artist slacks off, not taking it seriously.
Results of project crappy.
Artist unhappy, can't use project in portfolio.
Artist curses working for free.

Approach every project, regardless of paid or not, as you would professionally. Arrange pegs, research the concept, clean your products and so on and so forth. If you can't bring yourself up to do it, then don't even bother. Nobody wants to work with a sad sack!


Also, here's an awesome Should-I-Work-For-Free chart who does the deciding for you! (by Jessica Hische)


Click here for the full-size no-need-for-mutant-eyes-to-be-able-to-read image!




No comments:

Post a Comment